THe Apache Software foundation, the organization behind open source projects like Apache Webserver, Apache Solr and lots of other open source projects has release Open-Meeting, an open source web conferencing system. It uses Red5 streaming server and boasts of features like
- Audio and Video Conferencing
- Meeting Recording and Screen Sharing
- Multi-White Board and Chat
- User Management, Calendars, Private Messaging
- It also boasts of Moodle and Sakai Integration
On the surface it looks powerful but the biggest challenge for Open-Meeting would be user friendliness. It seems that it will be unusable by Non-geeks.
It you are a tech company and want to have your own video conferencing server then Open_meeting could be a good fit. But if you are simply looking for a Video Conferencing Solution which simply works then you’ll need to look elsewhere.