Scaling images

Hi,

I have just added this plugin to another website and I have spotted another slight issue, image scaling;

The following images are resized in HTML or CSS. Serving scaled images could save 124.1KiB (90% reduction).

https://graph.facebook.com/1412059565543439/picture is resized in HTML or CSS from 720x720 to 220x220. Serving a scaled image could save 124.1KiB (90% reduction).

Would you be able to do anything about this please?

It will reduce the webpages size significantly, in this case, this one image is over 1/10th of the entire page size (And we are only showing a single image in this case).

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Hi infosws

Can you please share your site URL and Facebook page url so we can check this let you know about fix.

Thanks
    A
  • Hi Abhishek,

The site in question is here (The feed is on its homepage only):
    https://cdsw.co.uk/

Their Facebook feed can be found here:
    https://www.facebook.com/CDSWLtd/

I've also noticed one other small thing (Sorry!);

Can you please combine: close.png, next.png and prev.png into a sprite?
    This will reduce the requests your plugin makes to 1 instead of 3 for these files, everyone loves less requests :)

Images are a right pain, so I appreciate you looking into this

Please let me know if you need anything else from me.

Thanks
    Steven
  • Hi infosws

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Facebook feed return us images in two sizes (full-pictures 720*720) (pictures 130*130)  we have used full-size image for display clearly on every device. If you want to use the picture in 130*130 size we can do this for you but this will be bluer on large devices.

We have noted down your suggestion in our to do list if we will discuss to our development team and if possible add this is our next release.

Thanks

• Hi Abhishek,

I thought that might of been the case, its rather unhelpful of Facebook.

Looking at how to get around this, would you be able to make an option that replaces the image with a link to it instead?
    This would then avoid the scaling and still allow a user to click on the image if they would like to see it.

Regards the sprites, thanks!

I am sorry if I sound like a pain, this Facebook feed has got to be the most effient I have used yet.
    If you can correct the few errors i've found, you should adveritse that fact alittle more :)

I will also be able to install this on around 40 installs we have (Mostly using the free version you've patched for me).

Thanks
    Steven
  • Hi infosws

This is not possible to replace the Facebook image with our image and show them on our end.
    But we can do one thing for you. you can use small size image to show in your side bar this will increase your site response time.

Let me know you are interested to do this .

Thanks
  • Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for having a look at that, if you could make an option for the 130x130px that would be great, I am sure other people would appreciate it too!

To avoid the blur, could you keep the image fixed at 130x130px so that it doesn't scale up?
    If the user then clicks on it, could you keep it linking to the 720x720px file like you have at the moment please?

To illustrate what I mean, I have tweaked the CSS and have uploaded an attachment.

Thanks again, please let me know If I can help further.

Thanks
    Steven

Webriti.jpg
  • Hi infosws

Kindly follow given instructions to show images in 130*130 and in light box full size.

1. Find code in attached link 

2. Go to in your plugin directory >> facebook-feed-shortcode.php file and replace all code with link code.

Let me know did it work.

Thanks
    A
  • Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for this, I have given it a test and its instantly improved the loading time & pagespeed score.

The only thing I would suggest here now is to tweak the CSS to reflect the new image size if you are going to update the plugin with this new code (Which I hope so).

Could this then be added as an option for users to be able to choose between the 720x720 and 130x130 sizes?

Thanks Again
    Steven
  • Hi infosws

Glad to know that.

Yes, sure we will discuss to our development team about both of your suggestion and if possible will add this in our upcoming version.

Can i close this ticket.

Thanks
    A
  • Hi abhishek,

Yes thanks, this has now been sorted.

I'll use this code for now, its worth adding to the upcoming version though, it will make the plugin alot better :)

Cheers
    Steven
This discussion has been closed.